LIVE COVERAGE OF DAY 2: Follow this link for Thursday's live coverage
Jerry Burns is charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked behind the J.C. Penney at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Opening testimony began Wednesday in Burns' trial in Scott County. Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll be updating in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Brandon Horman, former Cedar Rapids Jefferson boys’ basketball coach, taking over at Lisbon
- As Maggie McQuillen fights, support comes from Anamosa and beyond
- Iowa universities deal with pros and pitfalls of online learning brought on by COVID-19
- Cordell Pemsl transferring out of Iowa men’s basketball program
- University of Iowa Health Care debuts ‘virtual hospital’ for COVID-19 patients
- 12 years in prison for Cedar Rapids man who sold meth