The trial continues Thursday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Opening statements followed by witnesses testimony for the prosecution began Wednesday in Burns' trial in Scott County. Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Center Point-Urbana, Decorah roll to set up good 3A boys' basketball substate matchup
- All Iowa Attack, highly successful AAU basketball program, expanding to Coralville
- Cedar Rapids Kennedy’s Josh White sparks rousing boys’ basketball substate comeback
- Photos: Center Point-Urbana vs. Independence, Class 3A Iowa high school boys basketball substate quarterfinals
- Poll finds majority of Iowans favor tax changes similar to Gov. Kim Reynolds’ proposal
- Iowa high school boys' basketball rankings: Ankeny Centennial, Norwalk finish No. 1 in 4A, 3A