The trial continues Thursday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Opening statements followed by witnesses testimony for the prosecution began Wednesday in Burns' trial in Scott County. Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- University of Iowa Children’s Hospital admits first 2 coronavirus patients
- Iowa’s coronavirus curve flattening, officials say
- Iowa high school football 2020 offseason rankings: Class 2A
- Casey’s proposes remodeled Edgewood store
- 2 wounded in workplace shooting at SW Cedar Rapids business, police searching for suspect
- Hiawatha man leads officers on chase, charged with vehicle theft and burglary tool possession