The trial continues Thursday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Opening statements followed by witnesses testimony for the prosecution began Wednesday in Burns' trial in Scott County. Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa City Liberty shakes off rust, hands Dubuque Hempstead 1st loss to split baseball doubleheader
- Cedar Rapids Kennedy baseball shows potential in salvaging split with Linn-Mar
- Report: COVID-19 ends North Tama’s softball season
- Iowa Catholic bishops ask Trump to stop execution of killer of five
- Joni Ernst launches first TV ad as another poll shows tight Iowa Senate race
- Iowa universities see 2,000 fewer students this summer