CEDAR RAPIDS — One person faces an attempted murder charge after the second shots fired incident in Cedar Rapids this year.
Public safety spokesman Greg Buelow said Derek Bekeris, 31, faces one count of attempted murder in connection with a shooting in southeast Cedar Rapids Thursday morning. Officers were called to the 1500 block of Seventh Avenue SE for a report of shorts fired at 7:35 a.m. Responding officers determined that there were no injures, but that roughly six shots were fired an adult man.
Within about 10 minutes of the original call, police were able to take Bekeris into custody, Buelow said. Bekeris resisted arrest and was initially arrested on one count of interference with official acts, Buelow said.
Buelow said officers are conducting a search warrant at 1509 Seventh Avenue SE as part of the investigation, which is ongoing. Both Bekeris and the victim are believed to be associated in some way with that residence, Buelow said. More charges against Bekeris are likely.
This is the second shots fired call of 2016. Buelow said several shell casings were collected Wednesday night when police responded to the 1400 block of Second Avenue SE around 9 p.m. for a report of shots fired. There were 100 such incidents in Cedar Rapids last year.