CEDAR RAPIDS — Those wishing to vote in today’s school elections in Linn County will be casting their ballots at one-time special “vote centers” rather than at their regular precinct polling places.
Six locations will be open for residents in the Cedar Rapids school district. Residents can vote in any of the six vote centers, regardless of their address.
The sites will only be used this year, Linn County Elections Deputy Becky Stonawski said, because 2019’s school elections will be coupled with city elections.
Polls are open until 8 p.m.
In Johnson County, regular school election polling places will be open, though precincts are clustered there, too.
In both Linn and Johnson counties, early voting has been up, likely driven by school bond initiatives on ballots in the Linn-Mar and Iowa City districts.
“Usually we don’t expect a lot from school elections, 5 to 8 percent is usually the total,” Stonawski said.
Voting in the Linn-Mar school district has been “very heavy,” she said. About 684 people already have cast votes there, where an $80 million school bond is on the ballot.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
In Johnson County, early voting has been said “way more than we anticipated,” with 5,453 ballots cast, including 700 on Monday, according to county elections deputy Carrie Nierling.
The bulk of voters live in the Iowa City school district, which has a $191.5 million bond on the ballot. It is the largest school bond ever proposed in Iowa.
Clear Creek Amana school district voters also are deciding a $36 million bond issue. About 160 residents have cast early ballots in that race. Nierling noted Clear Creek Amana voters historically wait to vote until Election Day.
Voters in 13 counties also will find a $60 million bond renewal on their ballots for Kirkwood Community College.
Here is a list of the voting centers in use today for school elections in Linn County:
Want to check on your polling place to make sure? Go here.
Cedar Rapids District
• C.R. Schools ELS Center, 2500 Edgewood Rd. NW
• River of Life Ministries, 3801 Blairs Ferry Rd. NE
• Calvin Sinclair Presbyterian Church, 715 38th St. SE
• Linn County Public Service Center, 935 Second St. SW
• IBEW Local 405, 1211 Wiley Blvd. SW
• Christ Episcopal Church, 220 40th St. NE
• Prairie High School, 401 76th Ave. SW
• Ely Public Library, 1595 Dows St.
• Fairfax Public Library, 313 Vanderbilt St.
• Swisher Public Library, 72 Second St. SW
• Marion Christian Church, 1050 McGowan Blvd.
• Noelridge Christian Church, 7111 C Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids
• Knights of Columbus Hall Council 5390, 5650 Kacena Ave., Marion
• Marion School Administration Building, 777 S. 15th St., Marion
• Alburnett United Methodist Church, 221 S. Main Ave,
• King of Kings Lutheran Church, 3275 N. Center Point Rd., Cedar Rapids
• Center Point Public Library, 720 Main St,
• Urbana Community Center, 906 W. Main St.
• Lisbon City Hall, 115 N. Washington St.
• Mount Vernon City Hall, 213 First St. NW
• Walker North Pavilion, 398 Park St.
• North Linn High School, 3033 Lynx Dr., Troy Mills
• American Legion Post 362, 200 First St. N., Coggon
• Springville Memorial Library, 264 Broadway St.