Recently, the Senate voted to confirm Judge Amy Coney Barrett as the 115th Justice to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court. Anyone willing to set politics aside would have to conclude that the 7th circuit court judge is a jurist with extraordinary intellect and exceptional qualifications for this lifetime appointment. Amy Coney Barrett showed grace under fire over three days of hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Iowans are fortunate to have both U.S. senators serve on this committee and work side-by-side to make sure Midwestern values and our farm economy are not left behind. Iowa benefits from their leadership, including their votes to confirm Justice Amy Coney Barrett. As Sen. Chuck Grassley said, she “won’t be a politician on the bench.” That’s his domain to write laws and represent the people who elected him to the people’s branch. I’m sure glad we’ve got Grassley on the job, always listening to Iowans and working hard for Iowa.
Carole J. Martin
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Kenzie Reed comes up big in Kennedy’s substate semifinal win over No. 9 Ottumwa
- Iowa City Liberty trying to make up for lost time in boys’ basketball postseason
- Photos: Ottumwa vs. Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Class 4A Iowa high school boys' basketball substate semifinals
- Cedar Rapids Washington rallies to top Waterloo West in boys’ basketball substate semifinals
- Students speak up for racial justice in ‘March on Washington’ in Cedar Rapids
- 2 arrested, recruited by Iowa City landlord to break into tenant’s home armed with bats, police say