We are health care professionals serving in Iowa’s 1st Congressional District and we are facing one of the most critical health care situations in our nation’s history. We believe that Iowans need strong leadership in Congress to improve and strengthen Iowa’s health care systems and the health of Iowans.
We believe U.S. Rep. Abby Finkenauer is the candidate who will best represent the needs of Iowa’s 1st Congressional District. Finkenauer has a proven record of when it comes to the health and health care of Iowans including:
• Fighting for health care for all: Extending access to quality and affordable care to every American is a top priority for Finkenauer and she will continue to make this a top priority in Congress.
• Supporting a public option: Finkenauer supports allowing individuals to purchase a public insurance option like Medicare, while allowing families to keep their private insurance if they want to.
• Protecting Iowans with preexisting conditions: Finkenauer has supported legislation to protect preexisting condition coverage and ensure physicians can continue serving their patients. Finkenauer has voted against efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which would strip health care coverage from the 42,000 Iowans with preexisting conditions in the 1st District.
• Lowering prescription drug prices: Finkenauer passed an amendment in the House requiring drug companies to disclose the true price of medications in their advertisements, helping ensure costs are transparent for patients and providers. She is also a co-sponsor of H. R. 3, the Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act.
• Supporting rural health care: Finkenauer is fighting for our community health centers and hospitals serving our rural communities. Finkenauer introduced bipartisan legislation to ensure that rural hospitals aren’t left behind financially and have enhanced reimbursements for the inpatient services they provide.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Funding the Children’s Health Insurance Program: Finkenauer passed bipartisan legislation to ensure funding for children’s health insurance will not lapse. For years, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) has been used as a political football for partisan games. In Congress, Finkenauer has continually shown she will do what it takes to keep our children’s health care safe.
• Protecting women’s health care: Finkenauer understands that women’s health decisions are best made between a doctor and a patient. Finkenauer passed an amendment to double federal research funding for endometriosis, a health condition affecting one in 10 American women and 200 million worldwide. Finkenauer continues to fight for access to birth control, reproductive care and maternal health care.
As health care professionals, we swear an oath to protect our patients — and that oath is exactly why we wholeheartedly support Abby Finkenauer, the candidate who will protect and strengthen Iowan’s health care. We believe that Abby Finkenauer is the proven leader we need in Washington, D.C. fighting for the health and well-being of Iowans.
This guest column is co-signed by Iowa health care professionals:
Coley Barbee, MD
Tom Boxleiter, MD
Catherine Boxleiter, speech therapist
Mary Burke, RN
Justin Hepker, MD
Laura Hubka, ultrasound technologist
Mary Kemen, MD
Brian Randall, MD
Andy Petersen, MD
Jim Levett, MD
Jay Diaz-Parlet, MD
Ashley Vanorny, health care manager
Dina Mottinger, RN