CEDAR RAPIDS — Police are investigating after a 15-year-old girl sustained a gunshot wound to the abdomen Wednesday evening.
Cedar Rapids police said officers were dispatched at 6:52 p.m. to Fifth Avenue and 15th Street SE for a report of shots fired. When officers arrived, they found a wounded girl in an alley between Sixth and Seventh avenues SE. She had been shot once in the abdomen. The extent of her injury was unknown as of Wednesday night, police said.
Police provided medical aid for the girl until she could be transported to a hospital, authorities said. Officers then canvassed the area, collecting evidence and seeking witnesses.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa basketball rallies for overtime win over Indiana
- One spot for every three children: The child care shortage of Iowa Falls hurts workforce growth
- Iowa men's basketball vs. Indiana: Final score, stats, highlights
- Luka Garza, meet Luke A. Garza
- Body found in burning vehicle in rural Johnson County
- Wind turbines haven't been universally welcomed by everyone in Iowa