Fight away that cold weather with some of these warm meals.
Traditional Czech meal: Svickova Na Smetane
A Czech meal that is influenced by many cuisines, but has most similarities with French cooking, svícková na smetane is one of the most popular Czech meals. Mostly prepared for special occasions, the meal includes beef roast, side dumplings, creamy svícková sauce, cranberries, lemon and whipped cream. This Kirkwood Community College Continuing Education course will cover the preparation and cooking of all aspects of this Czech meal.
• When: 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday
• Where: NewBo City Market, Kirkwood Kitchen, 1100 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $75 for two participants
• Details: (319) 398-1022, kirkwood.edu/ce
Wine & Food Soiree
Join WineStyles for a six course meal with wine pairings, prepared by Chef Andy Deutmeyer. The evening starts at 6 p.m. with a sparkling wine welcome with an aperitif and jazz music by Jim Buenning, with dinner at 6:30 p.m.
• When: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday
• Where: WineStyles Cedar Rapids, 4201 42nd St. NE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $75 to $85
• Details: (319) 200-4171, winestyles.com/cedarrapids
Join Iowa Valley Resource Conservation and Development for a homegrown brunch and conversation. This celebration of local family farms, food hubs, farmers markets and more will feature food from area producers, prepared by The Hotel at Kirkwood Center’s Chef Joshua Spalding.
• When: 10 a.m. to noon Sunday
• Where: The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, 7725 Kirkwood Blvd. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $40 to $45
• Details: iowavalleyrcd.org/brunch
The Spirituality of Bread
Facilitators Tara King, Laurie Erlacher and Jenifer Hanson will lead an afternoon of bread baking and exploring the connections bread makes in lives and spirits. Participants will return home with a fresh-baked loaf of homemade bread. No bread making experiences is necessary.
• When: 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Prairiewoods, 120 E. Boyson Rd., Hiawatha
• Cost: $30
• Details: (319) 395-6700
Cocktail Class Series — Gin
Dive into gin with this immersive hands-on cocktail class taught by Joshua O’Connell.
• When: 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday
• Where: Rodina, 1507 C St. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $65
• Details: (319) 200-2515, facebook.com/pg/rodinaiowa/events