Rustic Hearth Bakery has closed at NewBo City Market. It is relocating to 3531 Mount Vernon Rd. SE, Cedar Rapids, the former home of French restaurant L’Auberge. Owners don’t have an official opening date in the new location yet but posted on Facebook that they are aiming for May 9.
Pinoy Cafe and Melting Bite
In other NewBo City Market news, market vendors Pinoy Cafe and Melting Bite are expanding. Melting Bite, which serves Indian street food, moved into a larger space in the market last month and now has a larger menu to match. Purveyor of Filipino cuisine, Pinoy Cafe, plans a similar move soon.
Yet another NewBo City Market business also has news — owners of the juice vendor Get Fresh announced they will open a second location at 109 Iowa Ave., Iowa City. No opening date yet, but stay tuned.
Frontier Co-op has partnered with local nonprofit Matthew 25’s Groundswell Cafe as the cafe’s new presenting sponsor. Groundswell Cafe, 201 Third Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids, is a “pay-it-forward” restaurant where guests can round up a bill or make a donation to help pay for a meal for someone in need. Anyone in need can order off the menu at no cost. The sponsorship includes a $30,000 grant from Norway-based Frontier’s Simply Organic Project Fund, which will support the cafe and Matthew 25’s Cultivate Hope food education program. The cafe is introducing new menu items in celebration of the partnership.
WOMEN IN HOSPITALITY SOUGHT
The Iowa Restaurant Association will recognize 40 women in Iowa’s hospitality industry for their creativity, leadership and contributions. Nominations can be made online at restaurantiowa.com and will be accepted until 5 p.m. on May 15.
• Have a restaurant news tip? Email email@example.com or call (319) 398-8339.
MORE RESTAURANTS ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Pete Buttigieg scores Iowa endorsements following Democratic presidential debate
- No ‘mansplaining’ necessary
- Former Collins employee sues over sexual harassment and assault
- Western Dubuque downs Solon for Class 3A state football championship
- Iowa high school state football championships: TV, live stream, predictions for Thursday's games
- After surrendering an early TD, Western Dubuque’s defense turns it on in 3A championship game