On Friday, Jerry Burns of Manchester was sentenced to life without parole in the death of Michelle Martinko. The video on this page is a replay of the sentencing hearing.
Martinko, a Kennedy High School senior, was stabbed to death Dec. 19, 1979. Police found her body in her family’s Buick in a mall parking lot in Cedar Rapids.
The case went unsolved for nearly 39 years until Burns was charged, due in large part to DNA evidence and genetic genealogy. He was arrested Dec. 19, 2018 — on the anniversary of her death.
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- New medical marijuana manufacturer coming to Cedar Rapids
- Linn-Mar schools breaking ties with Iowa BIG
- Jim Wohlpart resigning as University of Northern Iowa provost
- Rep. Ashley Hinson lands seat on U.S. House Appropriations Committee
- Boys’ basketball notes: Montezuma’s Trey Shearer has 2,000 points and counting
- Were Gov. Reynolds’ claims in Condition of the State true? Our Fact Checker team grades her