On Friday, Jerry Burns of Manchester was sentenced to life without parole in the death of Michelle Martinko. The video on this page is a replay of the sentencing hearing.
Martinko, a Kennedy High School senior, was stabbed to death Dec. 19, 1979. Police found her body in her family’s Buick in a mall parking lot in Cedar Rapids.
The case went unsolved for nearly 39 years until Burns was charged, due in large part to DNA evidence and genetic genealogy. He was arrested Dec. 19, 2018 — on the anniversary of her death.
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school football roundup: Second-round playoff scores, stats and more
- Cedar Rapids Prairie stuffs Davenport North in 4A football second round
- Cedar Rapids Xavier shakes off rust, rolls past Marion in 3A football postseason
- West Delaware pounds Western Dubuque to move to 3A football round of 16
- Watching the Hawkeyes?
- Cedar Rapids convention complex now the Alliant Energy Power House