Day 9 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Solon boys’ basketball bounces back with win over Clear Creek Amana
- Police ask for help to identify suspects in string of armed robberies last month
- Size advantage helps CCA shine in girls' basketball season opener
- Almost $9 million available for homeless shelters and Iowans ‘at imminent risk’ of eviction
- Iowa City West's Marcus Morgan decides to play baseball at Iowa
- University of Iowa on ‘aggressive timeline’ for new president by April 30