Day 8 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- As Maggie McQuillen fights, support comes from Anamosa and beyond
- Cedar Rapids woman identified as one killed in accident east of Atkins Wednesday
- Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Linn County
- Trying to bring Iowa to prospects via FaceTime is the challenge for Hawkeye recruiting
- Universities hold off on some athletic projects amid coronavirus concerns
- Home improvement stores, auto shops in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City still open for business