Day 8 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- COVID home treatment program helps prevent hospitalizations at UI Hospitals and Clinics
- Iowa football gets another tense win in tilted rivalry with Nebraska
- Iowa football vs. Nebraska: Live score updates, highlights
- Iowa State football notes: Cyclones display mental toughness again in win over Texas
- Luka Garza scores 41, including 36 in first half, in Iowa’s 103-76 win over Southern
- Game Report: Iowa Hawkeyes 26, Nebraska Cornhuskers 20