Day 8 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school football rankings: Minimal shuffling at the top this week
- University of Iowa’s COVID-19 tally grows while seven-day average falls
- COVID-19 cases among young people and education workers continue to rise in Iowa
- Iowa congressional delegation calls for extension of farm aid
- FEMA center for Linn County residents affected by derecho to close Saturday
- Photos: Candlelight vigil for Breonna Taylor