Day 5 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for April 4: 87 additional positive cases statewide reported, bringing total to 786
- One person injured in Cedar Rapids shooting Saturday
- Iowa grocers ask permanent exit from bottle bill
- A furry distraction: People adding pets to their family during stressful time
- Iowa prison crowding raises stakes on COVID-19 transmission
- 15-year-old shot early Saturday in Cedar Rapids