Day 5 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Des Moines says no to Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds’ demand for classroom return
- Iowa high school football rankings: Minimal shuffling at the top this week
- A fishing trip to ‘Lunker City’
- Woman wounded by gunfire in Iowa City Sunday morning
- Iowa tops 80,000 coronavirus cases
- Fact Checker: Did federal aid come in “record time” after derecho?