Day 5 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- No. 24 Iowa 26, Nebraska 20: Another win over Huskers, another Kirk Ferentz mic drop
- No. 13 Iowa State 23, No. 17 Texas 20: ‘5-star culture’ beats ‘5-star players’
- Iowa football gets another tense win in tilted rivalry with Nebraska
- Iowa reports 39 more COVID-19 deaths Friday
- Iowa football vs. Nebraska: Live score updates, highlights
- Coronavirus home treatment program helps prevent hospitalizations at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics