In the mood for adventuresome jazz? Cellist Tomeka Reid’s hard-grooving quartet will deliver. Along with guitarist Mary Halvorson (a newly-minted MacArthur Genius), bass player Jason Roebke and drummer Tomas Fujiwara, the quartet will whip up an intoxicating brew of musical flavors, many of which flow from Reid’s imagination. Tickets have been snapped up for the 6:30 p.m. show in Hancher’s intimate Strauss Hall, but may still be available for the late show. Whet your appetite at a free public discussion with the musicians at 7 p.m. Friday (11/1), also in Strauss Hall.
Tomeka Reid Quartet
9 p.m. Saturday (11/2), Strauss Hall, Hancher, 141 E. Park Rd., Iowa City; $10 to $15, Hancher Ticket Office, 1-(800) HANCHER, (319) 335-1160 or Hancher.uiowa.edu/2019-20/TomekaReid
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Former office manager will plead guilty in 13-year embezzlement scheme at Iowa City Area Development Group
- Iowa women's basketball outlasts Princeton with overtime comeback
- Eastern Iowa men charged with illegally shooting trumpeter swan
- Iowa, Midwest propane shortage has Sen. Grassley pushing for action
- Woman held at gunpoint, suspect leads police on chase in southwest Cedar Rapids
- Coe women’s basketball stifles rival Cornell, 56-46