In the mood for adventuresome jazz? Cellist Tomeka Reid’s hard-grooving quartet will deliver. Along with guitarist Mary Halvorson (a newly-minted MacArthur Genius), bass player Jason Roebke and drummer Tomas Fujiwara, the quartet will whip up an intoxicating brew of musical flavors, many of which flow from Reid’s imagination. Tickets have been snapped up for the 6:30 p.m. show in Hancher’s intimate Strauss Hall, but may still be available for the late show. Whet your appetite at a free public discussion with the musicians at 7 p.m. Friday (11/1), also in Strauss Hall.
Tomeka Reid Quartet
9 p.m. Saturday (11/2), Strauss Hall, Hancher, 141 E. Park Rd., Iowa City; $10 to $15, Hancher Ticket Office, 1-(800) HANCHER, (319) 335-1160 or Hancher.uiowa.edu/2019-20/TomekaReid
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Muscatine County attorney says Iowa mayor exceeded authority in issuing mask order
- Iowa reports highest share of positive COVID-19 tests in a month
- Iowa’s coronavirus cases on the rise again
- Report: COVID-19 ends North Tama’s softball season
- Iowa City Liberty shakes off the rust, hands Dubuque Hempstead 1st loss to split baseball doubleheader
- Cedar Rapids man accused of assaulting police dog