Dance Gala 2019 celebrates its 38th anniversary with “In Motion,” featuring new work created by University of Iowa Department of Dance faculty and guest artists from Urban Bush Women, a dance company that encourages civic engagement and social accountability through art. The program also will include an appearance by the UI’s enigmatic Laptop Orchestra. While Dance Gala works often include cross-collaborations, Jennifer Kayle and Daniel Fine’s piece, “(dis)APPEAR(d)ances,” is pushing boundaries in dance, digital media and music, by playing with how media affects experiences of presence and absence.
Dance Gala: “In Motion”
8 p.m. Friday (11/15) and Saturday (11/16), Hancher Auditorium, 141 E. Park Rd., Iowa City; $5 to $20, $100 patron, Hancher Box Office, (319) 335-1160, 1-(800) HANCHER or Hancher.uiowa.edu/2019-20/DanceGala
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Buoyed by Iowa’s primary turnout, auditors push absentee ballot requests
- Marion 8th-grader Myles Davis already making an impact as starting shortstop
- Old Creamery Theatre in Amana cuts staff, cancels season
- Iowa-developed mice used to test coronavirus therapies
- Iowa Economic Recovery Advisory Board eyes rural broadband as key issue in second meeting
- What has Carson King been up to during the pandemic? Planning more fundraisers