116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / Sports / Columns & Sports Commentary
Per HawkeyeReport.com . . .
Marc Morehouse
Aug. 12, 2008 11:16 pm
Former Iowa safety Marcus Wilson will not return to the UI, HawkeyeReport.com reported Tuesday night.
Wilson had a nice freshman year, sat out last year trying to work out academics and kept that effort going into the summer. It didn't work out, though, and he won't be back.
As of media day last week (Aug. 4), his status was uncertain.
Here's the nugget we had then:
Defensive back Marcus Wilson is enrolled at the University of Iowa, but his return to the team isn't a done deal.
Linebackers coach Darrell Wilson, Marcus' uncle, said Monday that Marcus had his final summer school test and is expected to return to the football team. Marcus Wilson had an interception and a fumble recovery in limited action as a red-shirt freshman free safety in 2006. He was ineligible last season.
"He had to find out for himself, but he's really grown up," Darrell Wilson said. "He's very sincere about this and wants to be here."
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Wilson would've helped, but I think the Hawkeyes are OK with safety depth.
Starters Harold Dalton and Brett Greenwood seem solid. Then, Lance Tillison, Diauntae Morrow and Tyler Sash appear to be ready to make the jump to playing time.
Talking to Dalton on media day, he admitted he felt the heat of competition from the underclassmen. It's a young group -- rangy, athletic and potentially physical -- but it's a young group.
We'll see what happens two weeks from Saturday.

Daily Newsletters