The crowd, including several groups that arrived on buses, is gathering in front of the federal courthouse in Cedar Rapids. The plan is to march to the Immaculate Conception Church on Third Avenue SE for a prayer service and discussion of immigration policies.
Immigration and customs enforcement officials raided Postville's Agriprocessors meat packing plant on May 12, 2008. Some 389 workers were arrested and detained, and many were eventually deported for being in the United States illegally.At the time, the raid in Postville was the largest single-site immigration raid in U.S. history.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- ACT to set voluntary resignations; future cost-cutting measures loom
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Substate round, May Mascot Madness
- OK Iowa, get ready for a second spike in coronavirus cases
- Body of former KGAN videographer found
- Iowa football recruiting 2020: Hawkeyes went looking for potential offensive tackles
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for May 28: Cedar Rapids, Marion park playgrounds reopen Monday, Twin Pines Golf Course to reopen June 4