The crowd, including several groups that arrived on buses, is gathering in front of the federal courthouse in Cedar Rapids. The plan is to march to the Immaculate Conception Church on Third Avenue SE for a prayer service and discussion of immigration policies.
Immigration and customs enforcement officials raided Postville's Agriprocessors meat packing plant on May 12, 2008. Some 389 workers were arrested and detained, and many were eventually deported for being in the United States illegally.At the time, the raid in Postville was the largest single-site immigration raid in U.S. history.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- University of Iowa fraternity deregistered after high-risk hazing, forced drinking, verbal assaults
- Uncalled U.S. House race gets even tighter in Iowa
- Marion library board fires director without explanation
- Iowa all-state football 2020: Washington’s Trashaun Willis named Class 3A captain
- Catholic church allows priest to return to teaching after he misbehaved sexually in the nineties but not with minors
- Marion tops Williamsburg in a Wamac shootout, 81-68