The crowd, including several groups that arrived on buses, is gathering in front of the federal courthouse in Cedar Rapids. The plan is to march to the Immaculate Conception Church on Third Avenue SE for a prayer service and discussion of immigration policies.
Immigration and customs enforcement officials raided Postville's Agriprocessors meat packing plant on May 12, 2008. Some 389 workers were arrested and detained, and many were eventually deported for being in the United States illegally.At the time, the raid in Postville was the largest single-site immigration raid in U.S. history.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Rep. Finkenauer calls on Gov. Reynolds to issue stay-at-home order
- Watch live: Daily White House coronavirus task force briefing for March 27
- Nicholas Baer’s G League year: Traveling, playing, adapting
- U.S. Department of Justice backs United Technologies merger with Raytheon
- Iowa restaurant revenues, employment plummet due to coronavirus concerns
- Even closed, Corridor libraries boosting internet access