There's a website up seeking to draft former state Sen. Swati Dandekar, D-Marion, as a candidate for Congress in the 1st District. She's currently a member of the Iowa Utilities Board, a good-paying gig that I'm skeptical she'd drop to run.
Dandekar left the state Senate to take that post, opening the door for Sen. Liz Mathis, D-Robins, to win the seat representing much of Marion. Mathis announced a few weeks ago that she's not running for Congress. Quite a few Democrats are looking for a woman to run for the 1st District seat, opened up by Rep. Bruce Braley's decision to run for the U.S. Senate. Iowa has never elected a woman to Congress.Not sure yet who is behind the site. I'll update when I know more.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Spencer Lee earns first-period tech fall, Iowa wrestling takes care of Nebraska
- Lisa Bluder: Wisconsin 'is ticked' and 'really tired of this' as Iowa seeks 21st straight win in series
- Photos: Iowa wrestling defeats Nebraska
- Hawkeyes men’s basketball team and its fans: It looks like love
- Kyle Green describes AJ Green’s game: ‘Confidence is a big part of it’
- Iowa State men’s basketball has to match Texas Tech’s toughness