A University of Iowa student group will host a "SlutWalk" Thursday, part of an international movement to call attention to sexual assault and the hypersexualization of western society.
The movement is brought to Iowa City by the UI campus feminist organization, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Organizers hope to work in conjunction with other local student and community organizations for the event.
A protest gathering and commencement speech will take place at 6 p.m. Thursday at College Green Park, followed by a march downtown through the Pedestrian Mall, and back to College Green. A number of speakers will address the assembly in the park.Local organizers said SlutWalks held around the world are meant to challenge the silent underpinnings of a hypersexualized western society and notions that sexual assault has as much to do with the victim as the assailant. Participants may wear anything they feel comfortable in, but should feel free to dress in provocative or “slutty” clothing if they choose to do so, organizers said.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- University of Iowa fraternity deregistered after high-risk hazing, forced drinking, verbal assaults
- Iowa all-state football 2020: Washington’s Trashaun Willis named Class 3A captain
- Catholic church allows priest to return to teaching after he misbehaved sexually in the nineties but not with minors
- Marion tops Williamsburg in a Wamac shootout, 81-68
- Hy-Vee pulls two Short Cuts veggie mix products due to listeria concerns
- Iowa Supreme Court encourages more remote proceedings