A University of Iowa student group will host a "SlutWalk" Thursday, part of an international movement to call attention to sexual assault and the hypersexualization of western society.
The movement is brought to Iowa City by the UI campus feminist organization, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Organizers hope to work in conjunction with other local student and community organizations for the event.
A protest gathering and commencement speech will take place at 6 p.m. Thursday at College Green Park, followed by a march downtown through the Pedestrian Mall, and back to College Green. A number of speakers will address the assembly in the park.Local organizers said SlutWalks held around the world are meant to challenge the silent underpinnings of a hypersexualized western society and notions that sexual assault has as much to do with the victim as the assailant. Participants may wear anything they feel comfortable in, but should feel free to dress in provocative or “slutty” clothing if they choose to do so, organizers said.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- ACT to set voluntary resignations; future cost-cutting measures loom
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Substate round, May Mascot Madness
- Body of former KGAN videographer found
- OK Iowa, get ready for a second spike in coronavirus cases
- Iowa football recruiting 2020: Hawkeyes went looking for potential offensive tackles
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for May 28: Cedar Rapids, Marion park playgrounds reopen Monday, Twin Pines Golf Course to reopen June 4