A University of Iowa student group will host a "SlutWalk" Thursday, part of an international movement to call attention to sexual assault and the hypersexualization of western society.
The movement is brought to Iowa City by the UI campus feminist organization, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Organizers hope to work in conjunction with other local student and community organizations for the event.
A protest gathering and commencement speech will take place at 6 p.m. Thursday at College Green Park, followed by a march downtown through the Pedestrian Mall, and back to College Green. A number of speakers will address the assembly in the park.Local organizers said SlutWalks held around the world are meant to challenge the silent underpinnings of a hypersexualized western society and notions that sexual assault has as much to do with the victim as the assailant. Participants may wear anything they feel comfortable in, but should feel free to dress in provocative or “slutty” clothing if they choose to do so, organizers said.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa women’s basketball endures delay, routs No. 12 Michigan, 89-67
- Painful loss for Iowa men's basketball at Michigan, physically and emotionally
- Burlington man charged for operating large-scale meth ring between Burlington and Cedar Rapids
- Mount Vernon SURVIVES 2nd-half rally from Mount Pleasant in 3A substate semifinals
- Iowa GOP bill targeting Big Tech not based in reality, Democrats say
- Iowa City landlord accused of assaulting tenant with baseball bat