An Iowa baseball fan now owns the most famous Big Ten chair this side of Bobby Knight.
Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery slammed a chair in disgust after he was called for a technical foul at Michigan State on Jan. 10. The incident provoked strong reactions nationally, and Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany called for McCaffery to tone it down.
The chair now belongs to an Iowa fan. Michigan State officials sent the chair to Iowa officials, and it was auctioned off as part of the baseball program's annual Steak Fry on Sunday. It raised $2,100, the highest-grossing item for the program, McCaffery said Monday night on his radio show.McCaffery even signed the chair and penned the words, "Coach With Passion."
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Jordan Bohannon’s season finale could be Thursday at Iowa State
- 3 libraries in Linn County now agree: no more late fees
- Joe Wieskamp gets Iowa basketball fans buzzed, helps blitz Minnesota
- Senior independent living project planned in SW Cedar Rapids
- Shellsburg woman stole car, gave fake name, dead mother’s information, police say
- Basically a brand new team, but these North Linn Lynx expect to be able to challenge everyone again this season