I don't know who started it, but I noticed last night that many of my followers were making odd declarations about the benefits and detriments of working with pencils, all with the hashtag #pencilchat.
It didn't take too long to realize that this wasn't actually about pencils. The tweets were retreads of the common arguments for and against having more technology in schools, it's just the technology in question was pencils.
Some of these were quite amusing, so here's a Storify with some of my favorites:
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school softball: It’s time for crossing fingers, holding breath — and social distancing
- Micro businesses set to open at West End Marion on Friday
- A broken light, a bunch of hit batters ... and a doubleheader split for Iowa City West, C.R. Kennedy
- Iowa summer kids program goes online amid health concerns
- Coronavirus pandemic saps Iowa casino revenue by about 20 percent
- CDC study: Minorities far more affected in meatpacking outbreaks