I don't know who started it, but I noticed last night that many of my followers were making odd declarations about the benefits and detriments of working with pencils, all with the hashtag #pencilchat.
It didn't take too long to realize that this wasn't actually about pencils. The tweets were retreads of the common arguments for and against having more technology in schools, it's just the technology in question was pencils.
Some of these were quite amusing, so here's a Storify with some of my favorites:
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Cedar Rapids Washington grad A.J. Puk gets the call to the major leagues
- Remains of missing Cedar Rapids man found in Colorado
- Biden edges Warren in Iowa State Fair straw poll
- Iowa football position preview: How the coordinator and quarterback deal goes at Iowa
- Social media posts lead to weapons charges for Iowa City man
- 4 Downs with Iowa's quarterbacks: A senior leader and then 2020 hopefuls