2. Oklahoma State (9-0). In the eyeball test, I think Stanford and Alabama are better than the Cowboys. In the performance test, OSU has beaten Texas A&M, Texas and Missouri on the road, Baylor and Kansas State at home.
3. Stanford (9-0). Washington and USC. That's who Stanford has beaten. It's a wonderful team with the best quarterback. And it hosts Oregon Saturday night, so thanks to ESPN for putting Michigan State-Iowa at 11 a.m. so I can get home and watch the Pac-12 Game of the Year.
4. Alabama (8-1). The Tide should be eliminated from national-title talk. You played your title-game at home, you scored 6 points over four quarters and an overtime. Good luck against Boise State in the Sugar Bowl.
5. Boise State (8-0). Being tied with UNLV at halftime wasn't exactly the same as Bama-LSU being tied at halftime.
6. Oregon (8-1). Had the Ducks beaten LSU in September, Oregon-Stanford would be the Game of the Year.
7. Oklahoma (8-1). Had the Sooners beaten Texas Tech two weeks ago, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State on Dec. 3 would be the Game of the Year.
8. Arkansas (8-1). Had the Razorbacks beaten Alabama in September, Arkansas-LSU on Nov. 25 would be the Game of the Year.
9. Clemson (8-1). Had the Tigers beaten Georgia Tech two weeks ago ... well, that would have been nice for them.
10. Penn State (8-1). The only team that is unbeaten in Big Ten play lost 27-11 at home to Alabama.
11. Houston (9-0). The best team the Cougars have beaten is ... UCLA?
12. Wisconsin (7-2). Back on the horse and doing what they do best, which is butcher inferior teams at home.
13. Kansas State (7-2). Gave a spirited effort at Oklahoma State before losing, 52-45.
14. Virginia Tech (8-1). As always at this time of year, a good way to move up the rankings is to have the week off.
15. USC (7-2). Only losses are to Arizona State on the road and in triple-OT to Stanford at home.
16. South Carolina (7-2). South Carolina calls itself USC. That confuses no one in South Carolina, and no one in Los Angeles cares.
17. Georgia (7-2). The video of Georgia's Aron White getting stuck in the hedges Saturday after flying over a xylophone, watch this. His reaction after he gets out is terrific.
18. Nebraska (7-2). Huskers lost at home to Iowa State in '09, to a lowly Texas team in '10, and now Northwestern in '11. With one more loss, it will be 10 straight years without a BCS bowl for Lil' Red. Just sayin'.
19. Georgia Tech (7-2). Hosts Virginia Tech Thursday night. That's a pretty good Thursday game.
20. Michigan State (7-2). Sleepwalked past Minnesota. Iowa tried that and didn't get away with it.
21. Texas (6-2). Texas Tech beat Oklahoma, which crushed Texas, which crushed Texas Tech. College football.
22. Michigan (7-2). It was a better poll when it was a Top 20.
23. Southern Mississippi (8-1). Are there any tickets left for the Conference USA championship game at a site to be determined?
24. Ohio State (6-3). I'm not sure why.
25. TCU (7-2). Had a better Saturday winning at Wyoming then fellow Big 12 member West Virginia did in losing at home to Louisville. Meanwhile, the SEC's Missouri and Texas A&M lost to Baylor and Oklahoma, respectively.