ROCKFORD — Funeral services will be on Friday for a Navy SEAL from Iowa who was among the Americans who died aboard a downed helicopter in Afghanistan.
Services for Petty Officer 1st Class Jon Tumilson, 35, of Rockford, are scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock Community School in Rockford. Burial will be at Riverside Cemetery in Rockford.
Thirty Americans and eight Afghans were killed Aug. 6 when a rocket-propelled grenade fired by a Taliban insurgent downed their Chinook helicopter en route to a combat mission.Memorial arrangements are being handled by the Hauser Funeral Home in Charles City.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Spencer Lee earns first-period tech fall, Iowa wrestling takes care of Nebraska
- Lisa Bluder: Wisconsin 'is ticked' and 'really tired of this' as Iowa seeks 21st straight win in series
- Hawkeyes men’s basketball team and its fans: It looks like love
- Photos: Iowa wrestling defeats Nebraska
- Kyle Green describes AJ Green’s game: ‘Confidence is a big part of it’
- Iowa State men’s basketball has to match Texas Tech’s toughness