At the death of the last Titanic survivor, Millvina Dean, I thought it would be interesting to see what coverage The Gazette had of Cedar Rapids' Walter Douglas, who was a casualty of that tragedy.
This pair of stories (published April 22, 1912) was moving, especially Mahalla Dutton Douglas' description of the ship's sinking.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Unusual on Johnson County ballot: sheriff’s race Al Fear and Brad Kunkel compete in Democratic primary
- Olson family will be prevalent again at Benton County Speedway
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Far Northwest, Near Northwest, West Central district finals
- Photos: Auto racing returns to Benton County Speedway in Vinton
- After Xtream Arena is built, will they come?
- Iowa City Democratic stronghold not blue enough, rival for Iowa House seat says