CEDAR RAPIDS - When a boys' swimming team graduates 85 percent of its points from a state runner-up squad, one might expect a significant drop-off.
The Iowa City West Trojans seek to dispel that notion with a splash of experience, a few new ... »
| || |
Shouldn’t it be Northmidwestern? Why must I be the one to point out these obvious things?
Anyway, here are the Northwestern-Iowa Fun Facts:
1. Iowa’s Akrum Wadley has rushed for 310 yards in two games against Northwestern.
2. Northwestern’s last two games — a win over Duke and a loss to Nebraska — were by 24-13 scores. Last year, Iowa had 24 first-downs and the Wildcats 13 when they played each other.
3. Iowa has 18 players from Illinois. Northwestern has no players from Iowa.
4. The Hawkeyes have allowed zero punt-return yards per game, but that ranks just tied for seventh in the NCAA. South Alabama has allowed minus-7.33 yards per punt return. That’s a neat trick.
5. Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell leads his team in tackles despite playing in just six plays of the season opener against Miami (Ohio).
6. Northwestern defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo has 14.5 career sacks, and almost as many vowels.
7. Northwestern is last in the Big Ten and 125th nationally in scoring with 16.3 points per game. Though the Wildcats went 10-3, they also were last in Big Ten scoring in 2015 with a 19.5-point average, three points less than anyone else.
8. Both teams have made just one field goal. The Hawkeyes have tried just one, the Wildcats four.
9. Northwestern quarterbacks have been sacked 15 times in four games. The 3.75-per-game average is 119th in the nation. Meaning, it’s among the nation’s 10 worst.
10. Wildcat receiver Austin Carr has 26 catches for 392 yards. Austin Carr holds the record for points in an NCAA men’s basketball tournament game with 61 for Notre Dame in 1970 against Ohio. That same year, he scored 45 against Iowa in a 121-106 NCAA regional consolation game defeat. Carr had a distinguished NBA career and is an analyst for Cleveland Cavaliers telecasts on Fox Sports Ohio.
11. Northwestern’s Austin Carr is a fairly accomplished singer/pianist who sang the national anthem at a Wildcats softball game last year. He said after his football career ends “I can see myself going to seminary and maybe getting a masters in divinity. I can see myself starting my own company as well.” Read this story about him.
12. The Iowa-Northwestern game is one of just three the Hawkeyes play against West Division rivals that doesn’t feature a traveling trophy. Had there been one, it would have traveled extensively the last two decades, because the teams have won 10 times apiece in the last 20 games.
13. The last time these two teams played at Kinnick Stadium, Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian completed 8 of 18 passes for 68 yards and was sacked five times in Iowa’s 48-7 win. Sunday, Siemian passed for 312 yards and four touchdowns in the Denver Broncos’ 29-17 win at Cincinnati.
14. Former Northwestern golfer Luke Donald has played in three Ryder Cups and has a match record of 8-2-1. No former Hawkeye has competed in a Ryder Cup.
15. Northwestern alum Julie Louis-Dreyfus has won eight Emmy awards. Her son, Charlie Hall, plays on the Wildcats’ basketball team.
16. Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers are Northwestern graduates. Conan O’Brien graduated magna cum laude from Harvard. Jimmy Fallon is a grad of College of Saint Rose. Jimmy Kimmel got an honorary degree from UNLV.
17. Northwestern and Kansas State are both nicknamed the Wildcats. Their mascots are both named Willie the Wildcat. But we know they aren’t the same school because Northwestern’s colors are purple and white, while K-State’s are royal purple and white.
18. Other Division I teams nicknamed the Wildcats: Abilene Christian, Arizona, Bethune-Cookman, Davidson, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Villanova and Weber State.
19. Other Division I teams nicknamed the Hawkeyes: None.