CEDAR RAPIDS - The Cedar Rapids Rampage were taking a long, uncomfortable glance towards 0-4.
Three third-quarter goals by the visiting Harrisburg Heat flipped a Cedar Rapids halftime lead into a two-score deficit.
In the end, that wa ... »
| || |
Playing a top-five team is fun.
It was fun for Iowa State when it did so against Oklahoma and TCU. It was fun for Iowa when it played Ohio State.
The other 49 states haven’t beaten top-five teams as often this year. It’s easy to understand why Alaska and Rhode Island don’t. But what’s your excuse, Texas, Florida and California?
At any rate, Iowa gets another top-five foe this week in Wisconsin if you go by the coaches and media polls. So here are that fun game’s Fun Facts:
1. The road team has won the last six games in this series, and the home team has been held to 10 points or less in three of the last four games.
2. Iowa has held eight of its nine opponents under their season scoring average. Iowa State is the exception.
3. Wisconsin has a 10-game winning streak for the fourth time in its history and first in 10 years.
4. The Hawkeyes and Badgers are two of the 13 FBS teams who have yet to lose a game by more than one score.
5. Wisconsin is tied for third nationally in defensive touchdowns, fourth in rushing defense, tied for fourth in scoring defense, fifth in passing efficiency defense, fifth in total defense, sixth in sacks per game.
6. The Badgers also are tied for fourth nationally in interceptions with 14. Iowa is tied for seventh with 13. Wisconsin has four pick-6s, tied with Duke, UAB and Texas for the national lead.
7. Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley has 12 passes and zero interceptions against teams that are currently ranked.
8. Badgers freshman running back Jonathan Taylor averages over 50 more rushing yards per game (152.0) than anyone else in the Big Ten.
9. Taylor has been the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week five times this season.
10. Paul Chryst is 30-6 as Wisconsin’s coach. He was 19-19 at Pittsburgh before getting the UW job.
11. Bret Bielema was 37-19 in the Big Ten as Wisconsin’s coach. He is 11-26 in the SEC as Arkansas’ coach.
12. All three of Iowa’s nonconference opponents are bowl-eligible with three games still to play.
13. Wisconsin, Alabama and UCF are the only teams in the nation that haven’t been behind in the second half of a game.
14. This is the sixth-straight time Wisconsin was nationally ranked in a game against Iowa.
15. Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle was an assistant strength coach at Wisconsin 20 years ago.
16. Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett threw four interceptions at Iowa last Saturday. He threw four interceptions over his previous 16 regular-season games.
17. Like Iowa, Kirk Ferentz’s alma mater has gotten the best of Ohio State. That’s Connecticut, which beat Tulsa, which beat Houston, which beat Arizona, which beat Washington State, which beat USC, which beat Texas, which beat Iowa State, which beat Oklahoma, which beat Ohio State.
18. Jack Link’s jerky is the official portable protein of Badgers athletics.
19. The daughter of Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta is named Madison.
20. Wisconsin doesn’t have a field hockey team. Iowa doesn’t have an ice hockey team. Neither has a beach volleyball team.