MOUNT VERNON - Cornell knew that any chance for success against unbeaten Lake Forest (Ill.) would begin and end with stopping the Foresters' star tailback, Joey Valdivia.
The Rams never got started.
Valdivia ran for 126 yards, four touch ... »
| || |
Hey, pick yourself up and dust yourself off.
Iowa has another football game this week, at Michigan State. The Fun Facts don’t stop coming just because of a heartbreaking loss.
1. Saturday’s 3 p.m. (Central time) kickoff will mark the fourth different starting time in the last four games for Iowa.
2. Michigan State running back LJ Scott, who stretched the ball over the goal line for the deciding touchdown in MSU’s Big Ten title-game win over Iowa in 2015, has lost two fumbles near the goal line this season.
3. Scott’s first name is actually Larry.
4. No Iowa quarterback has thrown more touchdowns in his first four starts as Nate Stanley (12), who leads the Big Ten in that category.
5. Michigan State outgained Notre Dame by 141 yards last Saturday and lost by 20 points.
6. Each of the 13 catches made by Iowa tight ends Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson have gone for first-downs or touchdowns.
7. Michigan State has used 12 first-year freshmen this season. Two, offensive tackle Jordan Reid and guard Kevin Jarvis, played 20-plus snaps against Notre Dame.
8. This series is 10-10-1 in games played in East Lansing.
9. Iowa is making its first appearance in Spartan Stadium since 2012, when it defeated MSU in two overtimes, 19-16.
10. Michigan State and Florida are the only two FBS schools with multiple national-championships in football and men’s basketball.
11. Iowa and Michigan State share the Big Ten lead for lost fumbles with six. The Spartans have played three games, Iowa four.
12. Spartans receiver Hunter Rison, who had four catches for 73 yards against Notre Dame, is the son of Andre Rison. Andre had 146 catches for 2,992 yards at Michigan State before playing in the NFL for 12 years.
13. Big Ten kickers have made all 193 of their PAT attempts this season. Iowa is 13-for-13, MSU 10-for-10.
14. Michigan State hasn’t played a game outside East Lansing since last Nov. 26.
15. Last Saturday’s Notre Dame game was MSU’s first regular-season contest in over five years in which it never had a lead, even though it went 3-9 last year.
16. The Spartans scored exactly 16 points in six of their last 13 games against Iowa.
17. Aaron Goldsmith will do the play-by-play for Fox’s telecast of this game. He has done radio baseball play-by-play for the Gateway Grizzlies, Bourne Braves, Portland Sea Dogs, Frisco RoughRiders, Pawtucket Red Sox and Seattle Mariners.
18. Jackie “The Joke Man” Martling, formerly of the Howard Stern Show, earned a degree in mechanical engineering at Michigan State.
19. Bo Bichette hit .384 over 70 games this season for the Lansing Lugnuts.
20. Williamsburg, Wilton, West Lyon, Wapsie Valley, West Branch, West Sioux, Webster City, Waverly-Shell Rock and West High (Iowa City) are all 5-0 in football this season. That has nothing to do with Iowa-MSU, but it’s still kind of Weird and Wild.