Yes, Virginia, there is a Pinstripe Bowl.
How it fits in the meaning of human existence is unclear. But what isn’t? So here are some Fun Facts about Iowa’s first Wednesday afternoon football game in a baseball stadium in hockey weather:
1. This is Iowa’s first game against Boston College. The Hawkeyes are 8-11 in games against current members of the ACC, but have won their last four.
2. Iowa’s Noah Fant leads the nation’s tight ends in yards per catch with 17.4.
3. Penn State’s 31-30 overtime win over Boston College three years ago is often referred to as “The Greatest Pinstripe Bowl of All Time.” Or “The Only Pinstripe Bowl Decided By a Missed Extra-Point Try.”
4. Boston College opened this season with a 23-20 win at Northern Illinois. Iowa opens next season at home against Northern Illinois.
5. The Hawkeyes have intercepted 19 passes, the Eagles 18. Entering bowl play, only Florida Atlantic had more (20), and it had played one more game than Iowa or Boston College.
6. Iowa was outscored by a total of 108-10 in the first halves of its last five bowls, all losses.
7. Of the 64 teams in Power Five conferences, only 19 didn’t schedule an FCS team this season. Iowa and Boston College were two of them.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
8. Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz played football at Connecticut. BC Coach Steve Addazio played football at Central Connecticut State. Addazio’s birthday is the first of June. Ferentz’s is the first of August.
9. If Iowa wins, Ferentz will get $500,000 as part of his contract, for his team winning eight games in a season.
10. If BC loses to Iowa, it will be the Eagles’ fourth 7-6 season in Addazio’s five years as their head coach.
11. If Iowa loses to BC, it will be the Hawkeyes’ third 7-6 season since 2011. If the Hawkeyes win, it will be their fourth 8-5 season since 2010.
12. Iowa is 6-8 in bowls since 2001. The only Big Ten teams with winning bowl records in that time are Rutgers (6-3) and Ohio State (8-7).
13. Notre Dame sold its allotment of 10,000 tickets for the 2013 Pinstripe Bowl in five days.
14. Nebraska beat Miami 36-34 in the 1962 Gotham Bowl at Yankee Stadium. The announced attendance was 6,166. The temperature was 14 degrees at kickoff. Boston College officials turned down a bid to the game for financial reasons. Nebraska Coach Bob Devaney announced that the Huskers would not board the plane in Lincoln until a certified check to cover their expenses arrived and cleared the bank. The check arrived, was cashed, and the rest is history.
15. Boston College tied with Arizona State, Kansas, Syracuse and UTEP for most bowl-eligible teams played in the regular-season, with 10. Iowa played nine.
16. The combined record of the teams that beat the Hawkeyes is 46-15. The combined mark of the teams that beat the Eagles is 45-16.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
Thank you for signing up for our e-newsletter!
You should start receiving the e-newsletters within a couple days.
17. BC has played before an average crowd of 37,227 this season. The average crowd for the previous seven Pinstripe Bowls is 40,853.
18. This year, Boston College became the first major-college team since NYU in 1948 to play in Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium in the same season. Yankee Stadium was NYU’s home field from 1926-1948. NYU terminated its football program in 1953.
19. Iowa’s last football game in a Major League Baseball stadium was the 2010 Orange Bowl in Miami’s Land Shark Stadium, then the home of MLB’s then-named Florida Marlins. The Hawkeyes beat an ACC team, Georgia Tech.
20. This will be Iowa’s first game in a stadium located on a 161st Street.
21. Kevin Neghandi will do the play-by-play of this game for ESPN. He once was the sports anchor at KTVO-TV in Kirksville, Mo.
23. Amy Poehler is a 1993 Boston College graduate. At the 2014 Golden Globes, she said the degree she got from the university (which actually was in media and communications) was in “Masters of Sex.”
24. Kofi Kingston and Big E are two-thirds of WWE’s New Day. Kingston (real name Kofi Sarkodie-Mensah) is a Boston College alum. Big E (Ettore Ewen) was a defensive lineman at Iowa who earned a varsity letter in 2006.
25. New Boston, Iowa is an unincorporated community in Lee County near Fort Madison.