WASHINGTON —U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Monday that Russia’s bombing of U.S-backed fighters in Syria was being discussed at the highest levels and while a communication link between the two countries had worked to avoid such incidents, the strike over the weekend was a departure.
“When you look at the fact that this is a change, you can imagine this is at the highest levels,” Mattis told reporters.
Russia’s Defense Ministry on Sunday rejected the allegations, saying its planes only targeted Islamic State militants and that it had warned the United States well in advance of its operational plans. (Reporting by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Four injured as fire engulfs second floor of Blairs Ferry Road apartment building
- Safety Village modifies itself for children with autism
- Area softball Super 10: Kennedy, Jefferson extend their stay on top
- Prairie’s Jensyn Jones grew up around the softball diamond
- March for Our Lives event in Cedar Rapids moved to Raygun
- Dubuque area man sentenced to four years for fraud scheme involving 250 victims