SOLON — If you like red meat, you won’t have a beef with the annual festival taking over Solon this weekend.
Solon Beef Days kicks off at 5 p.m. Friday and runs late into the night Saturday. The beef-themed festival includes food, drinks, live entertainment, a parade and carnival rides.
The money raised from the event helps fund projects and scholarships in the community, said Scott Kleppe, vice president of the Solon Beef Days Committee, which incorporated the celebration as a non-profit in 1978.
Last year, $30,000 was raised, Kleppe said.
Here’s everything you need to know before heading out to this year’s event:
5-11 p.m. Friday
10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday
(The Beef Days 5K and 1 mile Fun Run starts at 7:30 a.m. Saturday)
Location & Parking
Main Street in Solon; parking at various locations off Main Street
Friday — Mostly sunny; high of 79
Saturday — Slight chance of storms; high of 80
Food and Drinks
Don’t worry if beef isn’t your thing, plenty of other options are available. Food vendors are to operate form 4-10 p.m. Friday and noon to 10 p.m. Saturday. Here’s a look at some of the menu options:
• Beef Days Committee — Rib-eye steak dinners, steak sandwiches, pork patties — open 5-9 p.m. Friday and 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. Saturday
• American Legion — Sloppy Joe’s, hamburgers
• Women’s Club — Hot dogs, brats
• Boy Scouts — Grilled chicken, pizza, popcorn
• Carnival — Fresh squeezed lemonade, funnel cakes, corn dogs
• Beer tent — Open 4 p.m. Friday to 12:30 a.m. Saturday; 11 a.m. Saturday to 12:30 a.m. Sunday
Friday — 5 p.m. Wild Hogs Band; 9 p.m. Dogs on Skis
Saturday — 11 a.m. Iowa Vanguard Jazz Collective; 2 p.m. Terry McCauley; 7 p.m. FunkDaddies; 10 p.m. The Pork Tornadoes
Many activities are planned, including:
• Carnival on the Midway — Friday and Saturday; unlimited rides
• Hay bale toss — 7 p.m. Friday
• Parade — 10 a.m. Saturday
• Adult Jenga — 3 p.m. Saturday
What to Bring
Cash, sunscreen, bug spray, walking shoes
Info & Complete Schedule of Events