Celebrating the Fourth of July in Cedar Rapids: What you need to know
| || |
From pancakes starting the day to fireworks at the end, the community can enjoy a full day of activities this July Fourth in Cedar Rapids. Here’s everything you need to know:
Freedom Festival buttons are to be available for $5 at Casey’s, Hy-Vee’s and at the gates of the Freedom Festival events. Children eight years old and younger don’t require a button.
• Pancake Breakfast at Veterans Memorial Building main floor, 50 Second Ave. Bridge, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.; $6 for adults, $3 for children, $1 off with button. Parking available in May’s Island Parkade but must be removed by noon.
• Freedom Festival Car Show, Third Avenue Bridge, 8 a.m. to noon; $15 registration for cars; free admission with Freedom Festival Button; parking available in May’s Island Parkade but must be removed by noon.
• Celebration of Freedom, Second and Third Avenue bridges; 4 to 9:30 p.m.; free admission with Freedom Festival button; face painting, balloon artist, activities, music and food.
• Freedom Festival Concert, McGrath Amphitheatre, 475 First St. SW, 5 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.; doors open at 4 p.m.; free admission with Freedom Festival button. The Roosevelts and the Johnny Holm Band will perform.
Outside food is allowed on the Second Avenue and Third Avenue bridges with soft-sided coolers only, but no outside food or drinks in the Amphitheatre. Blankets and chairs are permitted.
• Fireworks will be lighted from First Avenue Bridge at 10 p.m.; free admission to Second Avenue and Third Avenue bridges with Freedom Festival button. The music for the show will play on speakers and viewers also can listen to FM stations KHAK 98.1 and KDAT 104.5.
First, Second and Third Avenue bridges close at 6 p.m., Sunday, July 3. The Eighth, 12th and A Avenue bridges also may be closed for firework safety needs.
What to bring
Chair, blanket, bug spray, cash — although the Third Avenue bridge will have an ATM.
What not to bring
Glass bottles, hard-sided coolers, fireworks or sparklers.
For additional details, go to www.freedomfestival.com.