In addition to lining the St. Patrick’s Day parade route in downtown Cedar Rapids, check out these other area festivities:
8 p.m. Saturday (3/17), CSPS Hall, 1103 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with the Cedar Rapids debut of one of the hottest Celtic bands on the planet. Calan brings together the talents of five young musicians, each adept at giving a fresh sound to Welsh musical traditions. Calan’s instrumental blend features not only fiddles, whistles, guitar and bagpipes, but the pibgorn, a traditional Welsh reed instrument incorporating a wooden pipe and the horns of a bull. A typical show features a mix of old reels, jigs, hornpipes, ballads and their own spirited, championship step dancing. Tickets: $24 advance, $29 door, (319) 364-1580 or Legionarts.org/events/st-patricks-day-with-calan
FOR THE WEE ONES
- Storytime: “The Gingerbread Man and the Leprechaun Loose at School,” 11 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday (3/17), Barnes & Noble Bookseller, 333 Collins Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids. A mischievous leprechaun is causing all kinds of trouble at school, but Gingerbread Man is back to save the day. Activities follow. Admission: free.
- Leprechaun Fun: 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Saturday (3/17), Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 Fifth Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids. Make a Leprechaun mask and go on a leprechaun hunt through the Children’s Department to find leprechauns hiding with story book friends in the shelves. Admission: free.
MUSIC & MORE
- Music in the Library: Irish Jam, noon to 1 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Commons area, Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 Fifth Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids.
- Irish Dance Lesson & Performance: after the parade, 3 to 3 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 Fifth Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids. Featuring Champagne Academy of Irish Dance.
FOOD & FESTIVITIES
- Cedar River Landing, 301 F Ave. NW, Cedar Rapids: 8 a.m. Saturday (3/17) to 2 a.m. Sunday (3/18), food specials; music by Slap & Tickle, 4 p.m. outside, weather permitting, and DJ Commando, 8 p.m. indoors.
- Chrome Horse Saloon, 1201 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids: 9 a.m. to midnight Saturday (3/17). Brunch 9 a.m. to noon, limited menu 11 a.m. to midnight; music by Well Lit first 2 to 6 p.m. and Black the Sun, 7 to 11 p.m.
- Della Viti, 203 First Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids: 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday (3/17). Live music by Irish Jam.
- Dick’s Tap & Shake Room, 1602 E Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids: 9 a.m. Saturday (3/17) to 2 a.m. Sunday (3/18); Guinness, Jamesons and other beverages, plus food trucks.
- Lion Bridge Brewing Co., 59 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids: taps start flowing at 11 a.m.; menu specials include bangers and mash from The Sausage Foundry and Olde No. 17 Dry Irish Stout; music by Kellen O’Cullom, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Longbranch buffets: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center, 90 Twixt Town Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids. Sam I Am Special Lunch Buffet, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., with corned beef brisket, boiled cabbage, corned beef chowder, Irish stew and more, $10.99 adults, $9.99 seniors. Luck of the Irish Dinner Buffet, 4 to 8 p.m., baron of corned beef, corned beef brisket and trimmings, $16.99 adults, $15.99 seniors or Rueben with fries or slaw, $11.99.
- Map Room, 416 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids: Pre-parade Party 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., with music by Kellen O’Cullom; corned beef and cabbage, burgers and loaded fries, $3 Irish whiskey and more.
- Red’s Ale House, 405 N. Dubuque St., North Liberty: 11 a.m. Saturday (3/17) to 2 a.m. Sunday (3/18). Beverages, corn beef and cabbage, morning bags tournament, music by DJ Jon.
- Tycoon, 427 Second Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids: Doors open this day only, 8 a.m. Saturday (3/17) to 2 a.m. Sunday (3/18). Watch the parade from the best seats in town, stay for the all-day party; DJs all day, with Lady J at night. Head downstairs to Fat Wally’s, 10 a.m. Saturday (3/18) to 2 a.m. Sunday (3/18) for a “Glowing Leprechaun” drink while they last, and other drinks to wet yer whistle.
- WineStyles Edgewood, 4201 42nd St. NE, Cedar Rapids: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday (3/17). Green Mimosas, Green Sangria and Green Beer, with Reuben pizzettes; wear green and get $1 off wine and beer by the glass; no reservations required.
- Mulholland Shopworks Paddy's Day Bike Ride: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday (3/17), meet at McLoud Run Park, J Avenue between 11th and 12th streets NE, Cedar Rapids.
- Shamrock Skate: 1:30 to 5 p.m. and 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Cedar Rapids Ice Arena, 1100 Rockford Rd. SW, Cedar Rapids. Ice skating open to all ages, $4.
- Shorelock’s Wizardarium Adult Underground Escape Room: 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Shores Event Center, 700 16th St. NE, Cedar Rapids. Test your wits in the escape room of magic and mystery. Work together to solve the secrets of herbs and potions, fortune telling, astronomy and wizard games. Unlock the wand and use the right spell to open the door and escape; for 3 to 12 people, prepayment required at (319) 775-5367.
- Springville St. Paddy’s Day Parade, 5 p.m. Saturday (3/17), Springville.
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
Kenny Broad knows you don't have to leave the planet to explore other worlds. Named National Geographic's 2011 Explorer of the Year and a National Geographic Emerging Explorer, he focuses on cave diving, descending into deep wate ...
Shooter Jennings with the Cordovas American singer-songwriter Shooter Jennings has released seven albums and numerous EPs. He also has made multiple appearances and cameos in film. Jennings is active mainly in outlaw country and ...