116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
A section of Marion Boulevard is closed as construction crews install girders for the new pedestrian bridge that will span the main Marion road.
The bridge is part of the long-awaited CeMar Trail project that will connect downtown Cedar Rapids and Uptown Marion. Peterson Contractors, which began work on Nov. 18, has three weeks to complete this portion of the project.
Westbound traffic temporarily is being routed to Eighth Avenue and eastbound to Sixth Avenue.
After the project has been accepted by the Iowa Department of Transportation, artistic design elements will be added by Marion artist Cara Briggs Farmer.
The maximum 80 percent federal payout for the bridge is $1,373,172, according to city Associate Planner Kesha Billings. The city will pay for the other 20 percent.