116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
DES MOINES — Danielle Hostetler did what all good Hostetlers do.
Win a state track and field title.
Hostetler’s sisters, Anna and Marie, won a combined 12 state track and field titles while running for Mid-Prairie in the late 2010s.
Thursday, Danielle, a freshman at Mid-Prairie, won her first in the Class 2A 3,000-meter run at Drake Stadium.
Danielle’s victory moved the Hostetler family mark to 13 state titles.
“I couldn’t wait until I could go out and do it myself,” Hostetler said. “They’ve given me a lot of tips and encouraged me throughout.”
Hostetler ran the first three laps a few spots back from first — she doesn’t like to feel burned out by the end of the race. But after the third lap, she made her move and left the field behind.
Hostetler won with a time of 10:25.26. Union Community’s Ellie Rathe finished second in 10:39.06.
Hostetler’s 10 team points shot Mid-Prairie to the top of the 2A girls’ team standings with 21 team points. Mitzi Evans took third in the 400 to get an additional six team points and Sydney Yoder was fourth in the 3,000 meter to add five points.
Waukon’s Annika Headington won her first state title on Thursday, as well. Headington won the 2A girls’ shot put.
She led from her first throw, never relinquished her lead, and capped off her dominant performance with a 42-foot, 6-inch throw on her last attempt.
“It means a lot,” Headington said. “Two years ago I was fifth place with a lot of seniors in front of me. Last year, I felt like I could’ve won a state title, so winning a state championship this year really means a lot.”
Williamsburg’s Lauren Pope finished second in the shot put with a throw of 45 feet, 5 1/2 inches and North Fayette Valley’s Abby Boehm was third with a throw of 39 feet, 11 1/2 inches.
On the boys’ side, Jesup’s Carson Lienau won the shot put with a throw of 55 feet and a half-inch.
“I can’t believe it,” Lienau said. “I just wanted to come out here and compete for a top-three finish. Once I came out and my first one was a 53-footer, I knew it was going to be a pretty special day.”
Lienau said the 55-footer was the best technical throw of his life, and with the added adrenaline, it all came together for him.
“It was the surrealest moment I’ve ever felt in any sport,” Lienau said of stepping into the circle for his last throw, knowing he had already won. “That was absolutely awesome.”
His win had Jesup tied with four other schools for fourth place after day one.
Tipton is in second place in the team race. The Tigers didn’t have any first-place finishers but they had a number of point scorers.
Also in the shot put, Tipton’s Nile Schuett finished third with a best throw of 49 feet, 9 1/4 inches.
Caleb Shumaker finished second in the 3,200-meter run with a time of 9:27.38, behind Bellevue’s Brady Griebel (9:22.83).
“Eight laps, I knew we were going to be there together,” Shumaker said. “(Griebel) took it out faster than I expected.”
And Tipton’s 3,200-meter relay team, anchored by Shumaker, finished second with a time of 8:15.82, just behind Northeast (8:15.69).
CLASS 2A GIRLS SHOT PUT
1. Annika Headington (Waukon), 42-6
2. Lauren Pope (Williamsburg), 50-5 1/2
3. Abby Boehm (North Fayette Valley), 39-11 1/5
CLASS 2A GIRLS LONG JUMP
1. Kylee Sallee (Hudson), 17-11 3/4
2. Kiersten Fisher (Southeast Valley), 17-10 1/4
3. Macy Daufeldt (West Liberty), 17-6 1/2
CLASS 2A GIRLS 3,000
1. Danielle Hostetler (Mid-Prairie), 10:25.26
2. Ellie Rathe (Union Community), 10:39.06
3. Ellie Meyer (Iowa Falls-Alden), 10:43.60
CLASS 2A GIRLS 4x800
1. Van Meter, 9:42.03
2. Sibley-Ocheyedan, 9:45.11
3. Jesup, 9:51.05
CLASS 2A GIRLS 400
1. Kennedy Kramer (West Lyon), 56.25
2. Erika Kuntz (KP-WC), 56.86
3. Mitzi Evans (Mid-Prairie), 57.38
CLASS 2A GIRLS TEAM STANDINGS
1. Mid-Prairie 21
2. Van Meter 14
3. Sibley-Ocheyedan 13
4. Hudson 12
5. Waukon 11
CLASS 2A BOYS LONG JUMP
1. Cooper DeJean (Ida Grove OABCIG), 23-7 1/2
2. Griffin Greiner (Eldon Cardinal), 22-1 3/4
3. Will Bunn (Roland-Story), 21-8
CLASS 2A BOYS SHOT PUT
1. Carson Lienau (Jesup), 55-0 1/2
2. Austin Busch (South Hamilton), 54-7 1/2
3. Chris Gardner (Underwood), 52-0 1/4
CLASS 2A BOYS 3,200
1. Brady Griebel (Bellevue), 9:22.83
2. Caleb Shumaker (Tipton), 9:27.38
3. Aaron Fynaardt (Des Moines Christian), 9:28.15
CLASS 2A BOYS 4x800
1. Northeast, 8:15.69
2. Tipton, 8:15.82
3. Underwood, 8:16.02
CLASS 2A BOYS 400
1. Brayden Wollan (Underwood), 47.73
2. Levi Schelhaas (Pella Christian), 48.53
3. Tanner Schouten (Unity Christian), 48.61
CLASS 2A BOYS TEAM STANDINGS
1. Underwood 22
2. Tipton 19
3. Eldon Cardinal 12
T-4. Bellevue 10
T-4. Northeast 10
T-4. Des Moines Christian 10
T-4. Jesup 10
T-4. Ida Grove OABCIG 10