116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
CEDAR RAPIDS — After a pandemic cancellation in 2020, the St. Jude Sweet Corn Festival is returning this Friday through Sunday, Aug. 13 to 15.
A few changes are in store for the 46th annual festival, where visitors will eat up to 15,000 prepared ears of corn.
New this year, those with paid admission for Friday or Saturday can get in for free on Sunday — just save your wristband.
With rising vehicle costs, the raffle this year will be for cash — $20,000 for the top prize plus 10 $1,000 prizes — instead of a car as in previous years.
To help husk 15,000 ears before the festival, show up at St. Jude church grounds at 9 a.m. Aug. 12.
Here’s what you need to know:
• Where: St. Jude Catholic Church, 50 Edgewood Rd. NW, Cedar Rapids
• When: Aug. 13 to Aug. 15
• Hours: 5 to 11 p.m. Friday; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday; noon to 6 p.m. Sunday
• Cost: $5 per day for ages 11 to 59; paid admission Friday or Saturday includes free Sunday admission with worn wristband; all preregistered volunteers receive free admission
• Parking: Available on the church grounds off the Edgewood Road entrance and First Avenue entrance. Handicap and motorcycle parking are available off the First Avenue entrance. Shuttles will run continuously out of the MidAmerican Aerospace parking lot at the intersection of Williams Boulevard and 16th Avenue SW. Shuttle service ends 30 minutes before closing on Friday and Saturday, but may run later if necessary to get patrons to their vehicles
• Security: The Sweet Corn Festival committee has partnered with the Cedar Rapids Police Department for security. No backpacks, scooters, skateboards, bikes, pets, coolers or weapons are allowed. All bags are subject to search.
• Beverage tent: This year’s beverage tent has music from Gimikk, Laid Back Band, Slap N Tickle, and Relaxed Fit. There’s no cover charge for the tent.
• Entertainment: Bingo, a cash raffle, the Country Store, Game Row, Kiddieland and a silent auction. Team-based bags tournament is available for those 21 and older; email email@example.com to sign up.
• Midway carnival: Tickets are $1, and most rides require one to four tickets each.
• Food: In addition to hot, buttered corn, you’ll find sloppy joes, walking tacos, funnel cakes, deep fried Snickers and Twinkies, pie, ice cream and more at the Food Canopy, Jude’s Grill and Snack Shack.
• COVID-19 precautions: Hand sanitizer and hand washing stations will be set up throughout the area. Masks will be available to wear indoors, although mask use remains optional for attendees.
For more details, visit judesweetcornfest.com.
Comments: (319) 398-8340; firstname.lastname@example.org