Today was mostly a question #oniowapod, and you guys were fantastic.
We talked about the Michigan State hire, defensive linemen in the transfer portal and the best Archer episode (that was very short).
• Co-host Scott Dochterman had a sit down with Kirk Ferentz. We got into his first post from that, which was about officiating. It’s more the rules than the officials is the basic point.
• Probably no “Two Score Milker” T-shirts because I can’t decide if it needs a hyphen.
• I scooped through the transfer portal and found one D-lineman that Iowa could perhaps get. But everyone sees the transfer portal. The no-brainers are pretty much gone. It was pretty tumbleweedy. But, this is only February. This window will stay opened until June.
• Yes, if we can point a laser at a boiling pot of water, we sure as hell should have a better way of measuring for first downs. But then, when I retire, I want to be a down box guy for a prep team. Don’t ruin my dream, you guys.
• Had a good question about journalistic life before social media. I would say they’re different and one isn’t better than the other. We are talking more and I think that’s a good thing.
• We will be doing a two-person draft of KF era players this summer. If we can work it out where we could do it live, that’d be cool and fun for everyone.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• The best ep of Archer is “Vision Quest.” It’s the one when they were all trapped in the elevator. That crazy Cyril!
• When is a good time for a college football coach to retire?
• The worst food is butter beans.
• I give the MSU hire a C.
• Brands vs. KF contract. I think KF is the better value given the scale, but having Brands at Iowa for eternity won’t suck.
• The officiating topic did include a question about the calls we hate the most. You guys knew which calls. You know us too well.
• Mark Stoops … Tune in for that one.
• Weirdest football roadie was definitely in Boulder.
• A replacement for Chris Doyle might already be on staff.
• We touch on Iowa club hockey. Now that it’s playing games in CR, I might make it my winter beat. Why not?
• Scott is the goalie from “Slap Shot.” I’d be Oglethorpe.
• The entertainment value of Tom Brands.
Thanks for listening and for participating. Had a lot of fun. It’s a longie. Enjoy.