There is a lot of talk going on between political campaigns about what we should do with Medicare. Maybe we should have Medicare for everyone (Medicare for all). Or maybe it should be an option for those who want it. On the other hand, shouldn’t we just leave things the way they are? “Conservatives” seem to think we should focus on individual initiative. “Liberals” think we need to take into account individual needs. But come to think of it, almost everyone I know believes both in individual initiative and taking care of those less able to take care of themselves. Why don’t we just expand Medicare to include children?
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Longtime teacher, coach at Iowa City Regina dies of coronavirus
- T.J. Bollers has Iowa State but not Iowa among final 6
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds expands business closures
- University of Iowa joins trials for ‘most promising’ coronavirus treatment
- Cedar Rapids man attempts $1,000 purchase at Fleet Farm with forged check, police say
- Heritage resident in Cedar Rapids, Longtime Regina teacher among recent coronavirus deaths