So now that Iowa has a $305.5 million surplus, some think it’s time for more tax reform. No! It’s time to properly fund all the necessary services that grinchy, pinchpenny politicians have cut back so as to allow tax breaks for the ridiculously wealthy! We need more nursing home inspectors, more people looking out for the welfare of foster children, more and better mental health services. We need to properly fund Meals on Wheels, which in my town has been cut back to four days a week with the one paid employee generously working for free one of those days and no new clients accepted. We need more state troopers on I-80 so that people will drive more slowly when we get a little snow. We need more prison guards. We need more people to inspect CAFOS. We need more rangers to care for our state parks. Use that surplus!
Barbara Aszman Stone
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa men's basketball loving new view from top of the Big Ten
- Iowa Hawkeyes' balance makes Northwestern dizzy Sunday in 96-73 blowout
- Brucemore estate’s first capital campaign exceeds $5 million goal
- Joe Biden outlines ‘Day One’ agenda of executive actions
- Iowa women’s basketball: Home win streak behind, Hawkeyes reset for Purdue
- Iowa State wrestling shows youth, makes mistakes in 31-7 loss to Missouri