What U.S. troops and Kurds have wrought Trump has put asunder within a week. The Kurds have fought bravely and stuck by us. If ISIS was in retreat, it was because of their work — not our president. Now, he is leaving them to be slaughtered by the Turk militias and reconstituted ISIS forces. It is barbaric and incomprehensible, even to Republicans. He is angry about impeachment, knows he will not be reelected and has decided on a scorched-earth policy on his rapidly accelerating descent to the dust heap of history. For our nation’s honor, for the sake of human decency, let us reverse course and help these people who did our bidding and helped us.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Scenes from Megan Gustafson's Iowa jersey retirement ceremony
- McKenna Warnock's late heroics make a big day even bigger for Iowa women's basketball
- Kobe Bryant, 13-year-old daughter killed in helicopter crash
- Recruiting is a season within the season for Fran McCaffery
- Wisconsin-Iowa men’s basketball glance: Time, TV, team data
- For aging Iowans, staying near home is both a challenge and opportunity in rural Iowa