What U.S. troops and Kurds have wrought Trump has put asunder within a week. The Kurds have fought bravely and stuck by us. If ISIS was in retreat, it was because of their work — not our president. Now, he is leaving them to be slaughtered by the Turk militias and reconstituted ISIS forces. It is barbaric and incomprehensible, even to Republicans. He is angry about impeachment, knows he will not be reelected and has decided on a scorched-earth policy on his rapidly accelerating descent to the dust heap of history. For our nation’s honor, for the sake of human decency, let us reverse course and help these people who did our bidding and helped us.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- IPERS trust fund buffeted by volatile investment market
- United Technologies, Raytheon to close Friday on $135 billion merger
- Grim projection shows over 700 Iowans will die from coronavirus by August
- Coronavirus death toll up to 7 in Iowa
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for March 31: Undisclosed number of Quaker Oats employees test positive
- Procter and Gamble in Iowa City, Nordstrom center in Cedar Rapids employees test positive for COVID-19