No one was a bigger fan of Doonesbury back in the day when Garry Trudeau was creating original strips. But really, it’s time to pull the plug on this experiment. The Doonesbury reprints are sadly dated. It’s unfortunate to read strips on the Clinton administration, and I’m pretty confident that even Trudeau wouldn’t approve of your rerunning the recent series where Mark comes out as gay. Those strips were cutting edge 25 years ago, but now verge on inappropriate. Do what you will with Mallard, but Doonesbury needs to stop now. It’s an affront to Trudeau to publish 25-year-old political opinion strips as if they are current.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Spencer Lee earns first-period tech fall, Iowa wrestling takes care of Nebraska
- Lisa Bluder: Wisconsin 'is ticked' and 'really tired of this' as Iowa seeks 21st straight win in series
- Hawkeyes men’s basketball team and its fans: It looks like love
- Meet the UI Writers’ Workshop grad whose novel is about to take over the world
- Photos: Iowa wrestling defeats Nebraska
- Jill Biden tries to close the deal for her husband, one tiny Iowa town at a time