No one was a bigger fan of Doonesbury back in the day when Garry Trudeau was creating original strips. But really, it’s time to pull the plug on this experiment. The Doonesbury reprints are sadly dated. It’s unfortunate to read strips on the Clinton administration, and I’m pretty confident that even Trudeau wouldn’t approve of your rerunning the recent series where Mark comes out as gay. Those strips were cutting edge 25 years ago, but now verge on inappropriate. Do what you will with Mallard, but Doonesbury needs to stop now. It’s an affront to Trudeau to publish 25-year-old political opinion strips as if they are current.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Brandon Horman, former Cedar Rapids Jefferson boys’ basketball coach, taking over at Lisbon
- As Maggie McQuillen fights, support comes from Anamosa and beyond
- Cordell Pemsl transferring out of Iowa men’s basketball program
- Iowa Board of Medicine urges governor to require shelter in place
- IHSAA, IGHSAU holding out hope for Iowa high school spring sports
- Gov. Kim Reynolds appoints West Des Moines lawyer to Iowa Supreme Court