Although I encourage kayaking, there are a few things that the public needs to be aware of. You need to wear a personal flotation device, or PFD. You should take a safety course, and under no circumstances paddle in floodwaters. While bargains on kayaks can be had at Walmart or farm stores, they cannot teach you how to paddle them, nor are they a good bargain. This is one of those cases where more money is worth it. CrawDaddy Outdoors is worth it. No, I don’t get paid a dime. Be safe on the water.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa’s Backbone State Park gets $650K from Leona Helmsley’s trust. Yes, that Leona Helmsley.
- With a new-look lineup, Western Dubuque wrestling beats Iowa City High
- Photos: Iowa vs. Iowa State men’s basketball
- For the first time in years, less trash comes to the Iowa City Landfill
- Jurors hear 9-year-old’s call for help: ‘My mom stabbed my dad’
- Iowa vs. Iowa State men's basketball: Box score, highlights, live updates recap