Instead of arguing sometimes in favor, in 2020, and sometimes against, in 2016, confirming Supreme Court justices in an election year, it seems to me the Senate needs a simple rule to be followed every time. Senators should be spending time solving problems such as the pandemic and its resulting unemployment, climate change and health care. The Senate needs a consistent rule for its confirmation process.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- University of Iowa athletics spends $230K on hotel stays for coronavirus-positive student-athletes
- Iowa City West rallies to top City High in regional volleyball quarterfinals
- Head coaches in quarantine, but Jefferson rolls in regional volleyball quarterfinals anyway
- One of the defendants charged in Iowa City homicide will be tried separately, judge rules
- Terry Branstad back on campaign trail, but this time for others
- Farm, business groups warn Iowa voters of threat of Green New Deal