“I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.” So said James Baldwin — author and activist. On June 1, Donald Trump flagrantly violated the First Amendment of the Constitution by unleashing heavily armed forces to gas, club, and trample peaceful protesters who were lawfully assembling to criticize abusive police practices and systemic racism. Trump topped off his shameful abuse of power by staging a photographic stunt in front of a place of worship. A firestorm of condemnation has ensued which has included searing rebukes from notable military figures like former Marine Corps General and Trump’s own prior Secretary of Defense James Mattis. And, what has Iowa’s junior senator said about Trump’s transgression? “I think we all will do things differently and the president chose one path.” We expect our elected representatives to uphold their oaths of office — to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic — not to be bullied into acquiescence. It’s time for Iowans to choose a different and more courageous path: Elect Theresa Greenfield for the United States Senate in November.
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- How the 2020 Iowa high school football playoffs will work
- University of Iowa RAs demand ‘hazard pay’ for COVID-19 threats
- Ron Livingston, all-star lineup to hold derecho relief concert
- Much drama, little debate as Trump and Biden clash
- Hai Huynh wins Coralville special election
- Iowa sees highest total number of coronavirus hospitalizations since May