Letters to the Editor

Reader questions Chuck Grassley's motivation

I seriously am questioning Sen. Chuck Grassley’s true motivation as he serves as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

He stated in an earlier comment that he would again honor the “Biden Rule” (mythical) if the situation arose again. He then stated that the rule applies only during presidential election years and he will move quickly to schedule his committee members to review and vote on President Donald Trump’s nominee to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy. OK, he is a Republican. However, he has trumpeted his defense of our Constitution and yet he chose to ignore it during the last Supreme Court vacancy where the president was denied the “advice and consent” of Congress, albeit a Republican Congress.

Sen. Grassley represents 1 percent of the Senate and about 1 percent of the U.S. population. What gives him the right to deny the remaining 99 percent their rights as defined in the Constitution?

Gordon Taylor

Anamosa

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.

CONTINUE READING

Want to join the conversation?

Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.

Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.