A recent front page article in The Gazette (“Public option could hurt rural hospitals,” Sept. 1) claimed that a public option for health insurance will hurt Iowa hospitals. Unfortunately, the article did not mention that hospitals will save a fortune on billing costs by using a single payment system. Not to mention that universal coverage will mean no more patients who cannot pay their bills. The study that triggered this article was paid for by a coalition of big pharma and private insurance companies who oppose a public option because it would hurt their business. A public option will help all Iowans, and strengthen Iowa’s hospitals.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Gold Star dad: Assault on American values by ‘the incumbent’ is personal
- Here’s how you can win Jordan Bohannon’s shoes from the Iowa-Iowa State game
- Hawkeyes set school shooting record in a rout of NCCU
- Lisbon sets school record with team title at Mount Vernon Invitational
- College basketball: Iowa Hawkeyes defeat North Carolina Central Eagles
- In determining child custody, it’s important to know the legal terms