I am 69 years old and recently, reluctantly, agreed to work the polls on November 3. My only motivation is civic duty. Given that the Republican do not favor mail-in voting, that our governor has continually recommended people over 65 self-isolate and the majority of poll workers are older than 65, wouldn’t it make sense to mandate that voters have to wear masks? Now, not only are poll workers being asked to check people in, but also to work as line monitors, making sure that people are staying 6 feet apart, and as cleaners, constantly sanitizing throughout the entire day. In the interest of protecting and lessening the anxiety of our senior poll workers, please urge our governor to mandate masks for in-person voting. Don’t want to wear a mask? Vote by mail.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa steps back from recent coronavirus spikes
- President Donald Trump paid $750 in U.S. income taxes in 2016, 2017, newspaper report says
- Photos: Jill Biden speaks at a drive-in rally in Cedar Rapids
- 2020 Iowa City Book Festival moves online
- Dead trees give life
- Goodwill’s new vegetable oil venture in Coralville hitting ‘nice rhythm’