I recently received a review of my charges for a recent medical procedure. The listed cost was $2,100. It showed my Medicare authorized amount was $435.00. Medicare paid $138.00 and it showed I owe nothing. So I guess because I have Medicare, and a private insurance policy I can afford, I am OK. I just wonder what a person without Medicare or private insurance, because they can’t afford it, would be charged. My understanding is the service provider might negotiate a slightly lower amount than the $2,100. So I guess if you can’t afford insurance, you will be will be charged an exorbitant amount of money. What kind of health care system is that?
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Marion 8th-grader Myles Davis already making an impact as starting shortstop
- Buoyed by Iowa’s primary turnout, auditors push absentee ballot requests
- Old Creamery Theatre in Amana cuts staff, cancels season
- Iowa-developed mice used to test coronavirus therapies
- What has Carson King been up to during the pandemic? Planning more fundraisers
- Iowa Economic Recovery Advisory Board eyes rural broadband as key issue in second meeting