John Adams said: “Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.” How does that happen? It happens when craven politicians capitulate to autocrats and despots instead of speaking truth to power. Sen. Mitt Romney abided by the solemn oath that he took to render impartial justice. He found Donald Trump guilty as charged by the House of Representatives: corrupting an election to keep himself in office, judging this offense to be the most abusive and destructive imaginable violation of one’s oath of office. Sadly, Sen. Joni Ernst not only voted to acquit Trump, but also to prevent a full and fair trial that would have allowed new witness testimony and full disclosure of documentary evidence. Why? It could not possibly have been to prevent exculpatory evidence from coming to light. Clearly, Ernst was shielding Trump from incriminating evidence. In November, Iowans should send a faithful representative to the United States Senate to replace Ernst.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Missouri Valley Football Conference to cancel 2020 fall season
- Iowa State finds 66 students with COVID-19 upon move-in
- $21 million in COVID-19 aid goes toward Iowa computer system
- Jerry Burns sentenced to life for killing Michelle Martinko in 1979
- $26 million coming Iowa student internet connections
- Local restaurant recipes star in Marion student’s recipe book for kids