This is a time of opportunity. The situation at the University of Iowa provides that opportunity for the state of Iowa. Whether or not you are a sports enthusiast, I think you will agree that sports play a big part in our society. As a result, coaches can have great influence on many citizens: young, old, and in-between. This is a time when coaches at all levels — university/college, middle/high school and club/rec — can be key players in long-overdue changes in the ways we view each other. This a great time for all coaches to step up. Lead the way, Coach Ferentz.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- West Branch schedules another road game so Maquoketa Valley can honor memory of 2 classmates
- President Trump, Theresa Greenfield gaining in Iowa, poll finds
- After inspecting 5 meatpacking plants where thousands of workers were sickened, Iowa regulators issue one fine: $957
- Former Cedar Rapids schools custodian convicted of sexually abusing 14-year-old girl
- Religious freedom fight still taking on University of Iowa
- Iowa sees fourth-highest, single-day jump in coronavirus cases