Iowans came out in historic numbers this year to support the candidates of their choice. Mariannette Miller Meeks, a Republican from the 2nd Congressional District worked hard to flip one of the most liberal congressional seats in our nation. Victory was accomplished through the hard work of our newly elected and certified congresswoman, many extremely young republicans, and the superior policies of the GOP. Recently, Rita Hart has announced she will seek the overview of a U.S. House committee, thereby attempting to supersede the results of our election. Having personally overseen the process myself in two of our twenty-four counties I can say with certainty it was handled with great care coupled with the oversight of both political parties. If observers from either side had questions we asked them together so we could understand everything during the counting process. If Rita Hart had a problem with the election she should have taken the issue to Iowa judges. Instead, to my utter shock, she is taking our election to partisan politicians in Washington, D.C. for her own political gain. Regardless of political affiliation, as Iowans, we need to condemn Rita Hart’s selfish behavior.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Ban on ‘gay panic defense’ again moves forward in Iowa House
- Jim Wohlpart resigning as University of Northern Iowa provost
- Rep. Ashley Hinson lands seat on U.S. House Appropriations Committee
- Linn-Mar schools breaking ties with Iowa BIG
- Iowa National Guard sending 250 to U.S. Capitol
- Boys’ basketball notes: Montezuma’s Trey Shearer has 2,000 points and counting